Do I need to book?
Walk-ins are welcome, no need to book! If you have a large group (six or more people) and would like guaranteed seating you can reserve a table here.
How much does it cost?
Pottery costs between $14 and $75 per piece, with many of our customers' favorite pieces (like mugs, plates and animals) in the $20 to $30 range. Prices include the pottery pieces, use of our studio and supplies, glazing and firing.
How long does a painting session take?
Most people spend about 1½ hours at the studio. Plan on less time if you have young kids or are making a simple project, more time if you're with a large group or working on something with lots of detail.
When can I pick up my projects?
Painted Pottery is ready to pick up in about one week and your pick-up day is listed on your receipt. We will hold finished pieces for 30 days.
Is the pottery safe to use with food?
Yes! All of our products are non-toxic and safe to use with food.
Can I put my hand-painted pottery in the oven/dishwasher/microwave?
As with any fine handmade item, hand washing is recomended!
However, we do know customers that frequently place their pottery in ovens, dishwashers and microwaves. If you want to, it's up to you. Remember these simple guidelines when doing so.
- Our pottery is ceramic earthenware. It is porous and it will trap moisture. Therefore, extreme care should be taken as the pottery can get VERY HOT and will stay hotter for longer.
- Allow pottery to heat up gradually i.e. warm up teapots prior to use, warm pieces to room temperature after removing from the refrigerator, don't place cold wares in hot water.
- Allow hot pottery to cool down slowly i.e. don't place hot wares in cold water.
- DO NOT use in electrical appliances if the piece is precious. Continual expansion and contraction of the piece will weaken the pottery over time and may cause cracking.
- Dishwashers also cause a common problem of chipping from glazed surfaces knocking against each other.
- If using in an oven, do not heat up the oven and place a cold piece of ware into it. Allow the ware to gradually heat up with the oven.
I'm visiting from out-of-town. Do you ship?
Yes! Shipping and handling starts at $5.
What ages can do the activities? Am I too old? Is my child too young?
As a general rule, any age can paint pottery! Pre-schoolers need a little more assistance from parents to get them started, but even babies can put their hand or footprints on their pottery, making it their own!
Remember that really young kids may not last very long, and you may need to come back to paint your own project without the kids.
I'm not artistic at all! What can I do?
Not to worry! We have stamps, stickers, sponges, and stencils to help. There are loads of ideas on out Pinterest page to help provide some inspirations.
What do you do with my project after I leave the studio?
Painted pottery is allowed to dry, dipped in a clear glaze, and fired in our kiln.
Can I bring in pottery I purchased somewhere else?
Unfortunately, due to quality issues we cannot glaze and fire pottery that was not purchased at our studio.
I have some of my own clay. If I make some pottery will you fire it for me?
We're sorry, we are unable to fire clay projects that were not created in our studio.
I don't live near Bend. Where can I find a studio near me?
Check out www.paintyourownpottery.net to search for CCSA member studios in your area.